The Most Anticipated Disney Film Releases Over the Next 3 Years
Upcoming Disney movies such as Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 can feel far, far away! We know that adults get just as excited over Disney releases as their kids (don’t even try and deny it). So to keep you in the loop we’ve made a list of the most anticipated Disney film releases (UK) over the next 3 years!
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
26th May 2017
- Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack Sparrow in the fifth instalment of the beloved Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. With the help of old and new allies Sparrow must seek the Trident of Poseidon to defeat nemesis pirate Salazar, played by Javier Bardem. Much to fans’ delight Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley will reprise their iconic roles of Will and Elizabeth.
14th July 2017
- Your kids will be very excited to know that Cars is back this summer! In the third film, Lightning McQueen’s race star reputation has taken a hit, and so he sets out to prove to a new generation of racers that he's still the best race car in the world!
27th October 2017
- The mighty Chris Hemsworth reprises his iconic role for the third instalment in the Thor film franchise in which he finds himself in a lethal gladiatorial contest against the Hulk, his former ally. Watching Chris Hemsworth on the big screen is something you don’t want to miss!
8th December 2017
- Inspired by the Mexican Day of the Dead festival, Coco is an animated adventure comedy and tells the tale of a 12-year-old boy named Miguel who sets off a chain of events relating to a century-old mystery, leading to an extraordinary family reunion.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
15th December 2017
- The second chapter in the long-awaited new Star Wars trilogy sees Rey continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker. This is definitely one to book early.
- Disney revives another of its own classics (101 Dalmations) in this live-action feature film starring Emma Stone as the iconic villain Cruella De Vil.
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
9th March 2018
- Wreck-It Ralph is back! Taking place six years after the events of the first film, the story will center on Ralph's adventures in the Internet data space when a WiFi router gets plugged into the arcade.
Avengers: Infinity War
27th April 2018
- The third instalment of the Avengers franchise, Avengers: Infinity war takes place four years after the events of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The Avengers, torn apart after the events of Captain America: Civil War, join forces with the Guardians of the Galaxy to battle Thanos, who is trying to amass the Infinity Stones for a gauntlet that will give him dominion over space, time, and all reality.
The Incredibles 2
16th June 2018
- The sequel to the 2004 hit The Incredibles 3D is set to be released in June 2018, Brad Bird has returned to direct the film and has been quoted as saying that this movie won't be like other superhero films. Instead, the sequel will focus on the relationships between the characters.
2nd November 2018
- Following the success of their other live-action remakes, Disney is set to release a live-action version of iconic Disney Princess film ‘Mulan’. It will follow the same plot: a young Chinese maiden disguises herself as a warrior in order to save her father.
Mary Poppins Returns
25th December 2018
- A very exciting film to look out for is the sequel to the 1964 classic Mary Poppins. ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ is set in 1935, during the era of the Great Depression in London and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who are visited once more by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.
Toy Story 4
21st June 2019
- The beloved Woody and the gang are back in 2019 in ‘Toy Story 4’! The plot will follow the fact that Bo Peep was absent in ‘Toy Story 3’, with Woody and Buzz trying to find and bring her back.
The Lion King
19th July 2019
- One of Disney’s biggest hits, ‘The Lion King’, returns to cinemas on July 19th 2019 as a live-action feature film. Cast announced so far includes: Seth Rogen as Pumbaa, Billy Eichner as Timon, Donald Glover as Simba and James Earl Jones as Mufasa.
27th November 2019
- The sequel everyone has been waiting for… Frozen 2! Cast members Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell WILL return as dynamic duo Elsa and Anna, and kids’ favourite Olaf will also be back! Expect another hit song to follow ‘Let It Go’ and a new ice queen dress to add to your daughter’s dress up box!
25th November 2020 (USA – UK date unannounced)
- Another upcoming big musical, fantasy animation to anticipate is ‘Gigantic’. Based on the classic fairy tale ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’, ‘Gigantic’ is set in Spain during the Age of Exploration and follows a teenage adventure-seeker, Jack, as he discovers a world of giants hidden within the clouds.
But that’s not it!
Disney has also announced they will be remaking live-action versions of many more of their classics! Expect to see the likes of Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Dumbo, The Sword in the Stone, Pinocchio, Snow White AND Tinker Bell showing at your cinemas in the next few years!