The South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum moved to the Aeroventure site in the 1999 from its long term home in Firbeck when the last remaining buildings from the former RAF Doncaster were vacated by Yorkshire Water.
The site opened as a civil airport in the 1930's with the museum's buildings constructed in 1938 by the RAF with the Second World War imminent. While the airfield continued to be used by the RAF and later civilian operators following the war the Aeroventure site was fenced off from the airport site to be used as a water board depot. While the rest of the airfield site was re-developed into what is now the Lakeside development the water board continued to use their depot until the late 1990's.
About this offer